Combating societal ills among which addiction is a worry, institutions and individuals are on all deck to put this negative practice to an end. Addiction is a complex condition, a brain disease that is manifested by compulsive substance use despite harmful consequences. It is a psychological and physical inability to stop consuming a chemical, drug, activity, or substance, even though it is causing psychological as well as physical harm.
Hundreds of thousands of people globally are struggling with addiction each day. When a person experiences addiction, they cannot control how they use a substance or partake in an activity, and they become dependent on it to cope with daily life. The most common types of addiction are alcohol and drugs. However, people do not just get addicted only to illegal drugs, as a matter of fact, prescribed drugs have been growing problem overtime now.
Then there are others who are addicted to gambling, shopping, social media, and mobile devices. 1 John 2:16 “For all that is in the world desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions is not from the Father but is from the world.” This tells us that strong urges to do particular things to the point of getting addicted to them are desires that are not from God rather from the flesh.
We offer affordable, professional and responsive websites for businesses, organizations, online stores, blogs, Companies, institutions, transport & logistics and other categories reach us now by clicking on Buy/Donate Whatsapp button at the top or call +237682021477
Some symptoms of addiction include:
- An uncontrollable seeking of drug
- An uncontrollable engagement in harmful levels of habit-forming behavior
- Neglecting or losing interest in activities that do not involve the harmful substance or behavior
- Difficulties in relationship with lashing out on people who identify the dependency
- An inability to stop using a drug in as much as it causes health and behavioral problems
- Addictive substance affects the body’s functioning. An addicted person looks only at the immediate reward of the substance or activity to the extent of avoiding friends and family just to focus on his/her addictive habit. This addiction has the tendency of gradually destroying valuable relationships among friends and family.
Some consequences are:
- Health issues-liver damage, lung cancer, damaged nervous system as well as other non-communicable diseases for drug addiction
- Risk-taking behavior due to intoxication including violence, reckless driving
- Vulnerability to infections and other transmissible diseases like HIV/AIDS especially using an unsterilized needle to inject
- Social isolation and withdrawal
- Depression, paranoia, and anxiety
- Addiction is a devastating illness raging havoc in the lives of many around the world. Nonetheless, it is an illness that can be treated and overcome with the right help and support.
In as much as bullying was not a term used in biblical times, there are scriptural referen…