You are reading: How To Properly Use Your Instagram Account: A Concise Guide
So last Time we learnt how to create an Instagram account. Today we will be learning how to use our Instagram accounts.
An estimated 1 billion people use Instagram every month with over five million businesses using Instagram to tell their stories visually, connect with their fans, and build their brand.
Being a newcomer to Instagram, it might be daunting to think about how you can stand out in such a large crowd. But getting started with Instagram is much easier than it might seem. You can try these steps;
Set up your account and profile
When you create your Instagram account on the mobile app, the app will guide you through a few basic steps for getting set up.
You should take note of two things;
Your Instagram profile photo will be displayed as a circle. If you are using your business logo, be sure to keep it in the center of your image.
The app will not prompt you to fill out your profile information but it’ll be great to do so. To fill out your profile information, go to your profile in the app and tap on “Edit Profile”.
The two fields to fill out is your website and your bio. If you would like to change your Instagram username (i.e. @username), you can also change it here.
Post photos or videos
When you want to post a photo or video, just hit the “+” icon at the bottom. Instagram will enable you see the most recent photos in your photo library. You can also choose to take a new photo or video by tapping on “Photo” or “Video” respectively.
Under this section, here are a few clues to consider;
•If you are choosing photos from your library, you can upload your photo as a portrait or landscape. Select your preferred photo and tap on the icon with two arrows in the lower-left corner of the preview. You can then move and zoom the photo to adjust how you want it to fit within the frame.
You can also upload up to 10 photos and videos into a single Instagram post. Click on the icon with two overlapping squares in the lower-right corner of the preview and select your media.
When you are taking a new video, press and hold the record button to record your video. If you want to film a few different things, you can let go of the button, point your phone camera at something else, and press and hold the record button again to continue with the recording.
If you are sharing single-image posts, you now can now schedule Instagram posts to help ensure you’re posting high-quality content on a consistent basis.
- Edit your media. Once you have selected your media for your post, you can add a filter or edit its orientation, brightness, contrast, and more. When your media is ready to go, just tap “Next” to fill out your post details.
- Write a caption: Your caption appears just below your media when your post is published. You can mention another Instagram account (i.e. @username) and add hashtags (i.e. hashtags) here. Accounts that you mention will receive a notification about it, and your post will appear when someone searches for the hashtags you used.
- Tag People: If you are posting a photo or a collection of photos, you can tag multiple Instagram accounts in each photo. The accounts you tag will also receive a notification about it.
- Add Location: If your media is a photo or video of a location, you could add a location tag to your post. Your post will appear when someone searches for posts in that specific location.
- Social shares: If you have connected other social media profiles to your Instagram account, you can easily share your posts on those profiles by toggling the switch. Once your post is ready, tap “Share” and Instagram will publish your post.
Your post will appear on the feed of everyone who follows you.
Hurray!!!you have just posted your first Instagram post
Post Instagram stories:
To post an Instagram story, just swipe right on your Instagram feed. You’ll be brought to the camera mode where you can take a photo or video or upload a media taken in the last 24 hours. Once you have taken or selected a photo, you have the opportunity to add stickers (including hashtag and location tag stickers), draw, and add text.
Find people to follow
If you have not followed any accounts, Instagram will prompt you to “Find people to follow” on your feed and provide three ways to discover people to follow.
You can either connect your Facebook account, connect your contacts, or follow profiles suggested by Instagram.
Here are some tips;
•Mention your new Instagram profile on your other social media profiles such as your Facebook Page
•Add a link to your Instagram profile on your website or blog
•Include your Instagram username on your name cards
•When people follow you on Instagram, you’ll receive a notification. It’s important that you check out their profiles and follow them, too.
Comment on posts
To comment on a post, click on the speech bubble icon below the photo or video. You can either leave a new comment or reply to an existing comment.
As a beginner, you can try these few steps and get acquainted until I bring you more tips next week.
You have been reading: How To Properly Use Your Instagram Account: A Concise Guide
You are reading: Using Online Platforms For Business Exposure > Keep Reading: Ads May Show…